Beaufort child molester sentenced to 25 years
BEAUFORT – Just before jury selection for his trial was to begin on Monday, March 18, a 40-year-old Beaufort man pleaded guilty to molesting a young girl and was sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Jimmy Selsey pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor for a string of incidents that occurred in October 2011 when he fondled and had intercourse with a 10-year-old girl he was caring for at a home on Lafayette Street in Beaufort.
The victim told a family member that she had been abused by Selsey on several occasions. The family called the police and took the girl to the hospital for an evaluation. She also disclosed the abuse during a forensic interview with Hope Haven.
“The community is a safer place now that Jimmy Selsey can’t do this to another child,” said assistant solicitor Mary Jordan Lempesis, who prosecuted the case. “He looked for someone he had easy access to and molested a child he was supposed to be caring for while her mother was at work. I am proud of this little girl for having the strength to report the abuse to her family and for being willing to testify in the trial if it had moved forward.”
Family members report the girl has been doing better in school than while the abuse was occurring and is once again a happy child.
Judge Carmen Mullen handed down the sentence, which by law, requires Selsey to serve at least 85 percent of his sentence before being eligible for parole.